Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pumpkin Pie with a Twist.

I am already thinking about what to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. Pumpkin pie is a Thanksgiving dinner staple, everybody loves pumpkin pie (including me!) So why not give it a try? The problem is, I'm not really much of a 'baker'. So I have decided to give the pie a test run before the real deal.

As much as I love pumpkin pie, I decided to steer away for them traditional pie and try something with a twist- Amaretto!

Amaretto Pumpkin Pie


Ingredients:


  • 2 cups amaretto or lady finger cookies, crushed fine
  • 2/3 cup melted butter (I used light butter)
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree, unsweetened if canned (make sure it's not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup half and half ( I used light)
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 4 tablespoons amaretto
  • 2 pinches of salt (intensifies the flavor of the pumpkin)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 375

Toss the crushed cookie crumbs and butter in a small bowl until well-combined. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. (easy, right!) 
Pour into the cooled pie shell. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean- It was closer and hour for me.
Let cool completely before cutting. Serve with cool whip, if you like



This was a huge hit among friends, so I will be bringing this to the Guerrieri Thanksgiving celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment