Sunday, December 19, 2010

Greek Stuffed Bell Peppers.

So it's been awhile..

I have been SO busy I've been neglecting my blog! Between being swamped at work, Christmas shopping, decorating and baby shower planning I haven't posted in over a month. I guess my New Years resolution should be to post a few times a week with NO exceptions.

I've been wanting to blog more about Greek food. So after a long hiatus it only seemed appropriate I start back up with the food that holds a special place in my heart.. Greek.  I grew up eating stuffed bell peppers, naturally my Yiayia makes it best but I'm sure this will her proud

Greek Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients:

  • 6 large bell peppers
  • Between 1 - 1.5 lbs ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • salt, pepper cinnamon, seasoned breadcrumbs


Preheat oven to 350

Cut off stem and clean out peppers



Arrange peppers in the pan, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar in the bottom of the peppers

In a large saute' pan with a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and ground pepper lightly brown chopped onions


Add ground beef to onions and brown



After meat is browned add stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and rice, let simmer for about 10 min. If the mixture seems alittle dry add 1/2 cup of wate. Then add parsley and salt&pepper to taste. Stir mixture well


Stuff peppers with the mixture then lightly sprinkle the top with sugar and breadcrumbs


Replace caps on peppers and sprinkle with breadcrumbs


Add a 1/2 of water to the bottom the pan (so the peppers don't dry out). Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1.5 hours, then remove the foil and bake for 30-45 minutes until tops are brown and rice is soft.


opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment