Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Crispy Orange+Ginger Beef.

I had sirloin in my freezer for awhile now and wanted to try something different. I had all these ingredients except for the fresh ginger root. Luckily, I have a market 1/2 a block from my apartment!

The orange+ginger in this dish really pop. Make sure you use the fresh ginger, if not you're really missing out.

Crispy Orange+Ginger Beef

Ingredients:

  •  1 1/2 pounds beef top sirloin cut in thin chunks
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1 orange, squeezed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use low sodium)
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups of oil for frying ( I used light olive oil)

*Serve with rice of choice and steamed broccoli. I used brown jasmine rice, I am a huge fan of fragrant rice.

Lay beef strips out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Allow to dry in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.



 In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, rice vinegar, orange juice, salt and soy sauce. Set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare rice of choice and broccoli


Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Toss dried beef in cornstarch to coat.



 Fry in the hot oil in small batches until crispy and golden brown; set aside on a paper lined plate. Drain all of the oil from the wok except about 1 tablespoon.





Add orange zest, ginger and garlic to the remaining oil, and cook briefly until fragrant (about 1 minute).





Add the soy sauce mixture to the wok, bring to a boil, and cook until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.



 Add beef, and heat through, stirring to coat (about 3-5 minutes).

Serve over rice+broccoli





~j

3 comments:

  1. Jess this looks delish! will you cook for me sometime?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds totally amazing! I think I'll give it a whirl this weekend. You should move to NYC and we could host a cooking show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tatally amazing!!!!!!!!!yes to NYC cooking show!!:)

    ReplyDelete