Monday, January 24, 2011

Greek New Years Cake (Vasilopita).

This post is a little late but hopefully you guys can try this out next New Year's!

Holiday traditions are very important to me. I love the traditions my family has created over the years, it excites to me add my creations on top of those. This tradition is the perfect end to the holiday season and a perfect way to start the new year.

The meaning of Vasilopita is to bless the home and bring good luck for the new year.  A coin is hidden within the cake before baking, then on New Year's a slice is cut for the house, all members of the family (youngest to eldest), groups and present visitors. The person who receives the slice with the coin is rewarded with good luck for the year!

Vasilopita  

Ingredients:



  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 powder sugar

Preheat oven to 350

Grease a 10" round cake pan

In a medium bowl with a mixer cream the butter and sugar together until light. 


Stir in the flour and mix until the mixture is well combined.


 Add in the eggs one at a time and keep well blended.  Blend in the baking powder and milk then lastly combine the lemon juice and baking soda.



Pour into the greased cake pan. 



You can either add in the coin before baking or cut a slit in the cake after baking and then hide the slit with power sugar. I am a fan of adding in the coin pre-baking. Make sure you wash/sanitize the coin, I like to wrap it foil as well.

Bake for 20 minutes



Remove and sprinkle the remaining power sugar and almonds. Bake for an additional 20 - 30 min.


Cut a piece for the home, then each member of the family starting with the youngest. If you have guests over make sure you cut a slice for them as well!


I'm sure you're curious who got the coin this year? Nick and I did!
 I cut one for each of us and "us", each member of our families and my roommate.

Here's to an amazing 2011!!






No comments:

Post a Comment